Blockchain technology has enormous potential to drive greater efficiencies, accountability and auditability, and financial inclusion. The tech is already being put to use across such industries as insurance, trading, lending, identity management, and supply chain. But for all its potential, blockchain is not a panacea that can solve all world problems. As a relatively new technology, it’s still at the experimental stage, as developers find out what works – and what doesn’t. That’s why any new blockchain project should be prefaced by a pilot program.
Pilot programs provide a chance to eliminate bugs, identify pain points, determine product-market fit, and identify whether the solution meets key benchmarks. Pilots aren’t just about identifying whether the concept floats: they’re also a financial forecasting tool that will determine whether a full implementation is warranted. Are the benefits leveraged by a blockchain-based solution worth the cost, not just in terms of capital but in staff training and customer acclimatization? Your pilot program will reveal all.
The case for commissioning a blockchain pilot program
There’s a misconception that for a blockchain pilot to be considered a success, it must be followed by a full implementation. That’s not the case. While a full rollout should always be the goal, the iterative nature of the pilot phase provides ample opportunity for learning. A pilot provides a chance to:
- Discover the tech and performance benefits of switching to a distributed solution
- Identify technical problems that may slow or prevent wide-scale deployment
- Accurately determine the cost of adopting a blockchain-based solution
- Undertake risk management to identify threats and opportunities that blockchain presents
- Model a proof of concept that is not constrained by established thinking and embedded technical processes
- Ascertain the trade-offs that such a model will confer
- Foster creative thinking and fresh ideas through experimentation with an exciting new technology
- Future-proof a business by testing the waters for broader blockchain adoption once the technology matures
- Establish first-mover advantage and position your business as forward-thinking and ahead of the curve
In the last few years, blockchain pilot programs across an array of sectors have been commissioned, ranging from the small to the wildly ambitious. While most of these projects haven’t made it past the pilot phase, some have evolved into production-ready applications, and all have provided valuable learning opportunities in ascertaining what blockchain is capable of, and the problems it is best equipped to solve. Initiatives that didn’t survive the pilot phase have provided valuable insights and stimuli for other improved pilots to run as well as use case ideas for other industries.
Many businesses have now started to include blockchain in their long-term technology roadmap. Modern digital ecosystems are complex and require extra validation before incorporating any large scale blockchain solution to infrastructure. It is therefore natural to expect enterprises to test the water with pilot programs before green lighting a full implementation.
By deploying a blockchain pilot program, a business can discover what needs to change in their organization before the technology can be leveraged effectively. It also gives them an opportunity to identify inefficiencies in their current infrastructure that may have lain undiscovered until now.
Commission an Auth pilot project for your business
Auth is a blockchain-based identity and access management solution for businesses like yours. It provides your employees and customers with a passwordless identity they can use to securely authenticate across the web. Auth provides a full self-sovereign identity that’s as suited to logging into a dating website as it is to unlocking an automobile.
Request an Auth pilot for your company and you could be up and running in as little 30 days with a solution that provides measurable results. Whether you’re looking to introduce passwordless authentication for your customers or single sign-on for your employees, Auth is the digital key that unlocks a world of opportunities.
For businesses eager to explore the upside to blockchain without getting bogged down in protracted design and implementation, Auth provides:
- A robust framework that can be rapidly deployed
- Fixed price, enabling your business to stay within its budget
- Fully customizable implementation to suit the unique needs of your business
- Scalable design to accommodate enterprises of all sizes and with a range of physical and digital authentication systems
Blockchain doesn’t have to be complicated. Auth is the proof. Give it a try and see what blockchain identity and access management can do for your organization.