One of the most fundamental elements in data protection for the modern web is the use of public key infrastructure (PKI) and digital certificates, namely Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) or Transport Layer Security (TLS). The PKI itself includes everything required to manage, create, and use these digital certificates within an organization and manage the encryption. But operating these systems comes with challenges that must be understood and met to ensure proper and efficient operations. The over-reliance on manual methods undermines the whole point of PKI and certificates and needs to be replaced with a more contemporary solution.
We were curious as to how businesses use SSL/TLS certificates and what challenges system administrators and network engineers face with while managing them. To learn more, we conducted an opinion poll on social media networks and among our customers. Here are some findings from people who are directly involved in SSL/TLS certificate management:
About 53% of respondents use spreadsheets to manage digital certificates
About 78% admitted to suffering the problem of missing certificate expiration dates
In our latest whitepaper, you’ll learn the basics of SSL/TLS certificates and effective ways of managing your digital certificates:
- Why digital certificates are vital and what the key uses are
- How IT experts are currently managing SSL/TLS certificates
- What challenges are associated with certificate management. Tracking expirations and ensuring complete visibility over all certificates are some of the main issues
- 5 key steps to optimize procedures and avoid overlooking digital certificates
- How to automate the flow with PKI certificate management best practices
The industry insights and tips in this whitepaper will help you build strong PKI and protect your networks, as well as save you time and effort spent on tedious SSL/TLS certificate management.